Join The Team
We're looking for initially one individual - with a second to follow during the summer months - to join our operations team with a particular focus on customer services.
Pay: Salaried To £400 Per Month, Equivalent Of c.£10 Per Hour Starting Wage With Annual Pay Review
Start Date: Dependent On Sports Resuming (Anticipated Late March)
Current Status: Applications Welcome
Closing Date: 1st March 2021
Location: The Old Bakery, Golden Square. Petworth. GU28 0AP
The Organisation You'll Be Working In
We are the BMABA Group - a self started social enterprise that works to improve grass roots participation in martial arts throughout the UK. The Group comprises of some of the most trusted names in martial arts and works to make participation safer, more professional and more accessible right across the UK.
For this particular role you will be predominantly working within our flagship organisation - the British Martial Arts & Boxing Association. The association serves a national membership base of 30,000 instructors and students right across the UK. The association focuses on improving standards for safeguarding and professionalism, promoting grass roots participation and championing self defence skills for everyone.
The role will also involve assisting on the BMABA's Fighting Chance Foundation - a charitable organisation that works to tackle childhood poverty, knife crime, women and girls at risk of violence, disability discrimination and more using martial arts as the catalyst for change.
The role will involve moving between Group organisations as required, as all of the companies are based out of the same office at present.
To learn more about us, please take a look at our team and our story, as well as what we're about on the association's website. You can also explore more about the Group and Vision on our website here.
Job Title – Customer Services & Operations Assistant
Salary - £400 Per Month (based on 2 days of 5 hours per week)
Hours – 10 hours per week over two days, with the potential of increasing this as sports recover post-pandemic.
(For those who might be interested, we anticipate being able to offer more hours and days as trade resumes. If this becomes available, it will be optional and not expected.)
Working Hours- Flexible, but we would need these to be set for continuity. Preferably Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday
We're flexible on working hours, but would suggest ideally starting around 9.15am(ish) and concluding around 2.15pm(ish) depending on whether you wish to take a formal lunchbreak. Should you wish to make regular hours 10.15am to 3.15pm the association will have no issue with this. We're happy to be as flexible as possible for school runs, nursery and other commitments. Life happens - and we don't want to be 'that employer' so will be as flexible as possible. We would just ask for a predictable, workable pattern of hours in advance.
Core job description
- To assist the governing body with its core administrative and operational work, focusing heavily also on customer and membership services. This involves assisting in a number of different areas of day to day tasks and duties (as detailed below) and liaising with both current members and non-members in relation to memberships, services, insurances and other key provisions.
Aims of the position
- To assist our Operations Manager in the day to day administrative duties of the association’s core operations, to ensure the organisation can continue focusing on growing it’s community based work and developing it’s membership base.
- To assist our Operations Manager and Chief Executive Officer with customer services and membership services related tasks, such as responding to support tickets, live chat, telephone calls, facebook messenger and client emails.
- To process instructor and club (core member) registrations and renewals as well as participant registrations and renewals.
- To manage the general association inbox, dealing with day to day enquiries and correspondence from members of the public, and from our membership base
- To answer the association’s operations telephone number with queries from the public and from instructors
- To manage the printing, processing and dispatch of post for our members, including general correspondence, membership packs and other items
- Data entry of membership information and other submissions from our web channels to appropriate CRM systems
- To complete other operational or administrative duties as required to assist in the day to day running of the association
- To assist the association in dealing with customer contact and non-customer contact via additional channels, such as live chat, facebook messenger and so on.
Character and Personal Qualities:
Your character is very important to us. We are a small, fledgling social enterprise with a dedicated, close-knit team so it is vital we employ an individual we can trust and get along well with. Whilst qualifications and experience are useful, we're much more focused on finding the right person for our organisation and value character over career. We need you to be;
- Have A Good Sense of Humour
You don't need to know anything about martial arts - full training on what we do is provided as part of the role.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be IT Literate as our organisation is modern and tech-driven
- Competent using Microsoft software (Word, Excel) and emails. You don’t need to be an expert but you do need to have a working knowledge. We use a slightly different type of software and a bespoke CRM but it is comparable to Microsoft Office suite products
- Fast learner and thorough with your work, with the ability to pay close attention to detail
- Preferably (but not essential) comfortable with the 'big 4' social media networks - Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter
Important To Note:
As this role involves working with sensitive information relating to safeguarding, insurance and personal data from our membership base, an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check may be required from all successful applicants.
The costs of this check will be met in full by the association, but you will need to make a full disclosure of any criminal convictions – spent or otherwise – at the point of application. More information is available on request, and will be discussed with you if you’re invited to interview.
A standard 6 month probationary period will be effective for this role to ensure you're the right fit for us, and we're the right fit for you. During your probation a 1 week notice is required on either part. After your probation, a 1 month notice period is required on either side.
Qualifications and Experience:
- We don’t require you to hold any kind of qualifications however you must be able to use a computer competently
- You also don’t need to have previous office experience however experience using a CRM system is desirable and prior experience in an office would be advantageous
- We're very willing to give the right person an opportunity to learn on the job if we think you're worth a break, so don't be put off if you don't have relevant experience
- Flexible Working Hours
- An extra day of holiday the week of your birthday
- 25 Days Holiday pro rata + Bank Holidays (Where Applicable)
- Sick Pay
- Option of working from home when necessary (e.g. when children are unwell etc)
- Option to occasionally switch days of the week so as not to miss an event (e.g. Sports Day)
- Award winning and rapidly growing organisation
- Free lead safeguarding qualification and enhanced DBS check
- Annual Pay Review
- Access to employee perks and benefits, as well as staff trips out and social events
We're a modern employer ran by a social entrepreneur. We are focused on family values and a flexible, relaxed working atmosphere. We trust individuals to work on their own, with the full backing and support of our team. We're flexible with working from home, childcare issues and any other modern-day flexibility you might need to feel relaxed and confident at work.
As we grow, we bring our team 'up' with us. This involves increasing salaries and benefits (such as gym memberships etc), increasing holiday allowances and introducing the opportunity to craft a career within a fast growing organisation.
We provide a relaxed modern office environment to work from, with the latest screens and tech. We also provide tea, coffee, waters and fruit to help you stay focused and healthy at work.
How to Apply?
Please send a covering e-mail along with your up to date CV directly to us at;
We will acknowledge receipt, and promise to let everyone know how they've done even if we don't take you throw to interview.